HMEP Strategic Peer Review
About the HMEP Strategic Peer ReviewThe HMEP Strategic Peer Review is a powerful way of improving understanding and achieving transformational change in highways services, helping to identify and deliver significant improvements.
The HMEP Strategic Peer Review is designed by the sector, for the sector and includes:
- A three day on-site peer challenge process to help an authority’s highway service identify more radical opportunities for improvement, greater efficiencies and change
- Highly flexible in scope and scale following the process operated by the Local Government Association (LGA)
- Led by peers from within the sector (officers and Members)
- Action orientated to focus on developing recommendations and a future action plan
The benefits of a HMEP Strategic Peer Review
- Helps place highways services on the corporate agenda and enhance the process of improving highways delivery to realise transformational efficiencies and change
- Allows an authority to understand potential improvements set within the wider strategic context of council operations
- Informs decision-making and provides (re)assurance from fellow professionals or ‘peers’
- Encourages engagement, collaboration and commitment to action across the council and service provider
- Promotes the sharing of good practice through peer-to-peer engagement as well as empowering individuals to collaborate across authorities
Who might be interested by the HMEP Strategic Peer Review?
- Portfolio Holders
- Chief Executives
- Deputy Chief Executives
- Directors of Service
- Assistant Directors or Service
- Heads of Highway
- Service providers
Carmel Mckeogh, Deputy Chief Executive at Blackpool Council said:
Learn more about the HMEP Strategic Peer Review – case studies
“The HMEP Strategic Peer Review gave us a chance to take a focused look at our approach to highways maintenance and efficiency in the round. It really brought this very important issue to life for the Corporate Leadership Team and the Members of our Councils’ Executive.”
Read the two case studies below to find out more:
HMEP Strategic Peer Review - Blackpool Council (PDF, 2pages, 294KB) HMEP Strategic Peer Review - Surrey CC (PDF, 2pages, 306KB)
Register your interest in a HMEP Strategic Peer ReviewHMEP has already completed six successful Strategic Peer Reviews. Following this the programme is now planning how further reviews can be delivered across the sector.
To register your interest in having a HMEP Strategic Peer Review at your authority please contact email@example.com and state your name and authority.
Volunteer as a Peer ReviewerPlease also volunteer to take part in the current Strategic Peer Reviews as one of the onsite peer review team. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in being a peer reviewer.
HMEP invites local highway authorities and their providers to connect and share their practices of ‘what works’ across the sector.
Connect with fellow professionals from across the highways sector and access real examples that can help ignite ideas.
Share your ‘real life’ efficiency practices, stories and experiences; to help other people, organisations and networks achieve greater efficiency.
Join our HMEP Linked In group
Receive HMEP updates
To receive an email alert about the latest news and updates on the programme, send an email to email@example.com with the subject 'Updates' and you'll be added to the email circulation list.