A LEAN Toolkit for Highway Services
Download the LEAN ToolkitThe content of the toolkit is presented for download as follows:
The LEAN Toolkit Case Studies and Summary Presentation (First published by HMEP in December 2013)
LEAN toolkit from HMEP (PDF, 155pages, 2.17MB)
LEAN Case Studies from HMEP (First published by HMEP in December 2013)
LEAN toolkit Case Studies from HMEP (PDF, 70pages, 937KB)
LEAN Summary presentation (First published by HMEP in December 2013) - an overview and summary of LEAN, key activities and how to get started - for members and officers
LEAN Toolkit presentation (PDF, 12slides, 811KB)
LEAN Toolkit presentation (PDF, 12slides, 4.14MB)
The HMEP: LEAN Toolkit is designed to help local highway authorities to ‘re-think’ highways planning and management so that greater savings and improved services can be delivered.
About the LEAN Toolkit
LEAN seeks to change the culture of an organisation to consistently view challenges from a customer’s perspective. This has had a dramatic improvement for those delivering front line services, as they feel equipped to be able to influence the process to the benefit of the customer.
The LEAN Toolkit:
- Explains how to apply LEAN within a highways service environment and gives advice, guidance and trialled methodology on how to overcome ‘typical’ challenges
- Includes experiences and evidenced case studies
- Helps to identify improvements from a customer’s perspective
- Gives advice on how to plan performance improvements to services
- Enables you to identify potential savings and greater efficiencies
LEAN, a key driver for delivering efficiency savings, is seen by HMEP to be fundamental to improving end-to-end planning and delivery of roads and services to customers.
Why the LEAN Toolkit is needed
Applying LEAN techniques in highways can:
- Save money - Highways LEAN projects have saved £150k to £1m per year and have achieved returns of 10:1, often within the first year of the investment.
- Improve performance - Using LEAN in highways can help to improve services for customers
The potential of using a LEAN approach for greater efficiencies is significant, and there is scope to do much more across the sector.
Last updated on 30th April 2014
HMEP invites local highway authorities and their providers to connect and share their practices of ‘what works’ across the sector.
Connect with fellow professionals from across the highways sector and access real examples that can help ignite ideas.
Share your ‘real life’ efficiency practices, stories and experiences; to help other people, organisations and networks achieve greater efficiency.
Join our HMEP Linked In group
Receive HMEP updates
To receive an email alert about the latest news and updates on the programme, send an email to email@example.com with the subject 'Updates' and you'll be added to the email circulation list.