Life Cycling Planning Toolkit
Download Lifecycle Planning ToolkitThe Lifecycle Planning Toolkit (First published by HMEP in November 2012) is available to download on the HMEP website at:
The guidance supports three planning toolkits that cover key areas for carriageways and footways. The toolkits are available in Excel 2003 and (Excel 2007 / 10 formats).
1. The Carriageway Toolkit: supports future planning and decision making on the efficient maintenance and management of carriageways
HMEP Carriageway Toolkit - 2003 v1.02 (XLS, 3MB)
HMEP Carriageway Toolkit - 2007-10 v1.01 (XLSM, 963KB)
2. The Ancillary Assets Toolkit: supports planning level decision making for the efficient maintenance and management of ancillary highway assets including: road signs, bollards, vehicle restraint systems, street lighting, traffic signals and linear assets such as road markings and kerbs.
HMEP Ancillary Assets Toolkit - 2003 v1.00 (XLS, 3MB)
HMEP Ancillary Assets Toolkit - 2007-10 v1.00 (XLSM, 946KB)
3. The Footway Toolkit: supports planning level decision making for the efficient maintenance and management of shared use footways and dedicated cycle ways.
HMEP Footways Toolkit - 2003 v1.00 (XLS, 3MB)
HMEP Footways Toolkit - 2007-10 v1.00 (XLSM, 938KB)
The Lifecycle Planning Toolkit is:
About the Lifecycle Planning Toolkit (incorporating default carriageway deterioration models for Bituminous Surfacing)
- A strategy tool that can to select the preferred maintenance solution and timing for installation to suit the whole life cost of the asset
- A network tool to enable Local Highway Authorities to make decisions regarding the timing of future maintenance decisions and their likely impact
- A costing tool to aid selection of maintenance treatment options at a local level
- Assess the impact that different levels of funding can make on future asset performance and asset maintenance requirements
- Investigate the current and future levels of funding required to achieve more defined levels of service and condition
- Identify the levels of funding required to minimise whole life costs and helping to preserve them in the most efficient way
Good lifecycle planning supports strategic level planning and better decision making for future highway investment decisions. By considering an asset over a whole life cycle, it is possible to select the optimum point to intervene with the optimum treatment.
Why the Lifecycle Planning Toolkit is needed
Planning and estimating expenditure requirements alongside long-term asset performance is essential if future roads and services are to improve. These estimates can be used to determine the likely performance of the asset so that future budget can be prioritised accordingly.
Last updated on 1st May 2014
HMEP invites local highway authorities and their providers to connect and share their practices of ‘what works’ across the sector.
Connect with fellow professionals from across the highways sector and access real examples that can help ignite ideas.
Share your ‘real life’ efficiency practices, stories and experiences; to help other people, organisations and networks achieve greater efficiency.
Join our HMEP Linked In group
Receive HMEP updates
To receive an email alert about the latest news and updates on the programme, send an email to email@example.com with the subject 'Updates' and you'll be added to the email circulation list.